To see all content, you will need the current version of Adobe Flash Player to view it.
HOME PAGE CLUB OPENING HOURS CONTACT US CLUB HISTORY THE PRONE RIFLE PAGE THE GALLERY RIFLE PAGE THE ARCHERY PAGE THE AIRGUN PAGE AIR PISTOL PAGE MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION OUR RANGES GENERAL RANGE INFORMATION EXTERNAL 50m SMALLBORE RANGE
The Swansea and District Rifle club was founded on 17th September 1919, by citizens of Swansea and officers and men of the 4th Volunteer Battalion, The Welsh RegimentThe club existed under this name until at a General Meeting on 4th January 1921 it was renamed Swansea Rifle Club. Captain W.O. Dayson was the Chairman at these early meetings and was influential in the starting and running of the club.Firearms, of Long Lee-Enfield variety were loaned by the Regiment to all nine Army Officers in the club, for use by all members. These were withdrawn in August 1921 when the club had obtained sufficient rifles to enable it to function satisfactorily.These early days were spent in the Central Drill Hall and outdoors in Sketty Park. The Sketty range was the club's headquarters.With teams in many of the county and national leagues, the club had a great deal of success and members of the club have represented the County and Country on many occasions, in both full and small-bore shooting.Against the decline in competitive target shooting during the second world war, club membership rose with the large number of people who believed that learning to shoot was both patriotic and essential. With the threatened invasion from the continent the club was involved in the training of Local Defence Volunteers, the fore runner of Dad's Army.After hostilities ended and sport again had a place in the shooting world, Swansea was again prominent on the Welsh sporting scene with six ladies from Swansea R.C. in a 1948 team of eight representing Wales. Four men also represented the country that year.The club moved its headquarters from Sketty when the local council required the land for development. The present land was purchased and new ranges opened at the Cwm Quarry, Treboeth in 1959.Since the formation of the European Union and the twinning of continental and British towns, Swansea Rifle Club has been engaged in exchange visits with their German twin, Mannheim. Bi-annually each club visits in turn.When pistol shooting was banned, the club fostered air-guns and pistol calibre carbines, both of which have become very popular, along with black powder pistol.With prone target shooting, air arms, both target and field target, sporting gun and black powder pistol the club still offers the local community a very good sporting facility.